XI-09: First Aid
North Sanpete School District
Board Policy with Guidelines
|Policy Number: XI-9
Effective Date: 12/16/1982
Revised Date: 02/21/2017
Subject: First Aid
The school nurse or trained personnel shall perform first aid and emergency care when available.
- If an injury or illness is minor, one of the designated staff members may administer first aid.
- In the event of a serious injury or illness to a student, the parent or guardian shall be notified as soon as possible. Parents shall decide what physician shall treat their child and whether to pick up the child at the school or meet the child at Sanpete Valley Hospital.
- The student shall be transported to Sanpete Valley Hospital emergency room by school personnel (two employees, with at least one trained in first aid) if threat to student health is serious; or by ambulance when in the judgment of the principal (or designee during the absence of the principal) the emergency requires an ambulance.
- An accident report form shall be completed for each accident. A copy of the report shall be forwarded to the Superintendent.
- All accidents should be reported immediately, or as soon as possible, to the building principal and/or the immediate supervisor of the employee.
- North Sanpete School District will train personnel to provide life saving service as first aid methods become available. Trained personnel (if available) will provide assistance to any person(s) who may be suffering from an opioid overdose, in need of emergency defibrillation and other approved life saving techniques as available, following protocols and procedures of the school district. Staff members will make every reasonable effort to revive a victim of an apparent drug overdose or other life threatening event.